Skip links and keyboard navigation

Frequently asked questions

What would you like to know more about?

Click on the options below or scroll down.

Where can I find information about keeping recreational wildlife?

The Queensland Government website contains links to important documents that you should read to ensure that you understand your legal requirements. We recommend that you read the relevant information and the Code of Practice for Aviculture and Code of Practice for Captive reptile and amphibian husbandry.

Where do I find information about the legislation relating to keeping recreational wildlife?

Find out about your legal obligations by reading the material on the EHP website or the Nature Conservation Act 1992 and the Nature Conservation (Wildlife Management) Regulation 2006. Copies of the legislation are available from GoPrint or read it on-line by logging onto the Office of Queensland Parliamentary Counsel website.

How many animals can I keep with a recreational wildlife licence?

A standard recreational wildlife licence allows you to keep an unlimited number of controlled, commercial and recreational birds and/or reptiles and amphibians. You are also able to keep up to two restricted birds, reptiles or amphibians on a standard licence. Please refer to the EHP Guidelines for more information or contact EHP on 1300 130 372 (during business hours).

What do I need to do if I am between 13 and 18 years of age?

If you are between the ages of 13 and 18 and you want to apply for a recreational wildlife licence, you will require a legal guardian to complete the online application with you (you and your legal guardian must live at the same address where you will keep the wildlife). Both your name and your legal guardian’s name will appear on the licence, but you will still be the licence holder.

What can I do if I am under 13 years of age?

To hold a recreational wildlife licence, you must be at least 13 years of age. However, you can have someone that lives with you who is over the age of 13 such as a parent or older sibling apply and hold the animal in their name until you are 13 and can apply for a licence.

How can I keep restricted and international animals?

To purchase and keep restricted and international birds, reptiles and amphibians you must apply for a recreational wildlife licence with an additional endorsement for a restricted or international animal. Restricted and international endorsements for animals require extra assessment by EHP and will include an additional fee. More information can be found on the Queensland Government website.

Will it cost me more to buy a licence online and is GST included?

A licence will cost the same whether it is purchased online or by submitting a paper based form. GST is not payable.

How long will it take to get my licence?

In most cases your licence will be issued electronically as soon as payment has been processed. More complex applications will need to be manually assessed by an EHP officer. Some common reasons for manual assessment include;

  • If the applicant is an organisation
  • If the application is for more than two restricted wildlife
  • If the application is for international wildlife
  • If you are moving wildlife from interstate

Do I need to purchase a record book?

A record book documents the movement, births and deaths of animals in your care. It contains multiple copies of the Wildlife Record Form which must be completed as a legal requirement. Each record book can be used to record details about multiple animals, however only one species of animal can be recorded per page (each page is an individual Wildlife Record Form). Either 20 or 50 page record books are available for purchase or you can download a record book (PDF, 800K) for free.

If you do not already have a useable record book, you must purchase or download one with your recreational wildlife licence, purchased books will be forwarded to your postal address. An EHP officer may ask to see your record book to verify the origin of your animals.

When will I need a movement advice?

A movement advice is required when an animal is sold from either a private recreational wildlife licence holder or a pet shop. Only one movement advice is required per transaction, regardless of the number or types of animals that are being purchased/sold. The seller usually provides the movement advice unless you are buying an animal from interstate, then you must complete the movement advice. You can download a free electronic copy of the movement advice or you can also order a hard copy for a small fee by contacting EHP on 1300 130 372.
More information on moving native wildlife

How will I receive my online licence?

Your licence will be supplied in a PDF format. It should be saved for future records. You can receive your licence via email but you will need to include your email address either on the application details page or on the confirmation screen.

What paper can I use to print my licence?

The licence generated is a legal document and therefore you are required to print it out on plain white paper.

Will I receive a receipt confirmation number?

If your transaction is successful, you will be directed to a confirmation page where a PDF version of the receipt will be provided. You can save it or email it to your email address entered either on the application page or on the confirmation screen.

How soon can I keep birds/reptiles or amphibians after I have bought my licence online?

You can keep the animal(s) identified on your licence as soon as you have received your licence.

Note: RWL licences cannot be backdated. Your licence will list the ‘valid from’ date.

Can I choose the start date of my licence?

If you have an existing Recreational Wildlife Licence which expires within a month you will be given an option to start your new licence from today’s date or the expiry date of your previous licence.

Note: For new clients the licence commencement date will always be the date that the application is granted.

I have not received my licence via email. Why?

It may take a few minutes for your licence to be sent to your email inbox. Please check your email security settings as your email software or service provider may be blocking emails with attachments like your licence email.

Note: If you do not receive an email within 24 hours please contact EHP on 1300 130 372

Who do I contact if I am having any questions about buying a licence online?

If you have questions about what licence to buy, contact the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection on 1300 130 372.

If you have problems with the website, call 13 QGOV (13 74 68) during normal business hours 8.00am– 6.00pm (Australian Eastern Standard Time) except public holidays.

I am not able to view my licence when I click on the 'licence PDF' link.

Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to open and print Portable Document Format (PDF) files and is free to download. Install the current version of Acrobat Reader and then try clicking on the link again.

Once my permit is issued what happens if I change my residential address?

Please contact EHP on 1300 130 372

Last updated
22 December 2016