Commercial trade of live and dead protected wildlife
The Nature Conservation Act 1992 allows certain species of native animals to be kept and traded commercially. A commercial wildlife licence is needed to trade some species of native wildlife in Queensland, however, some species (e.g. budgerigars) may be sold without a licence.
The commercial trade in dead wildlife is also managed under the Nature Conservation Act 1992. A commercial wildlife licence is needed to process and sell dead protected animals commercially. This includes commercial macropod meat or skin processing facilities and taxidermists.
A commercial wildlife licence is also needed to import and trade certain dead wildlife products.
You can also read the legislation online by visiting the Office of Queensland Parliamentary Counsel website.
The department offers a service to guide applicants through the assessment process. The service includes meeting with a departmental project manager to discuss the information that must be provided with your application.
This service can be initiated by contacting Permit and Licence Management or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or completing a Pre-design conference application form. If a meeting is required to discuss your application in more detail, a departmental officer will contact you directly.
Permits and approvals
To apply for this type of licence, you need to lodge a completed application form. There are codes of practice adopted under the Nature Conservation Act 1992 concerning the commercial trade of wildlife. If you get a commercial wildlife licence for live birds or reptiles, the following codes will be relevant to your business:
- Code of practice: Aviculture
- Code of practice: Captive reptile and amphibian husbandry
Forms and fees
Note that an application kit for commercial wildlife licence (dead macropods) may be obtained by contacting the department/QPWS office in Charleville on phone (07) 4654 1255.
- Application form: Commercial wildlife licence (live protected animals)
- Application form: Commercial wildlife licence (dead protected animals excluding macropods)
- Return of operations: Commercial wildlife licence (birds, reptiles, scorpions and spiders)
- Return of operations: Commercial wildlife licence (dead protected wildlife other than macropods)
* Requires Microsoft Office files viewer