Skip links and keyboard navigation

Moving native wildlife

Moving native wildlife is regulated through a licensing system to minimise the likelihood of animals escaping and becoming established in the area and, consequently, threatening conservation values. The licensing system for moving wildlife also helps in monitoring trade in wildlife.

There are three 'levels' of documentation under the Nature Conservation Act 1992  (PDF) under which wildlife may be moved. These are:

  • wildlife movement permit
  • movement advice
  • chief executive's written approval.

Some situations do not require a movement permit to move protected animals, including when a person moves:

  • an exempt animal, unless it was lawfully taken from the wild in Queensland
  • a protected animal to or from a registered veterinary surgeon who treated/will treat and care for the animal
  • to another place of residence within Queensland and the animal is taken to the new place of residence
  • to another place of business within Queensland and the animal is taken to the new place of business
  • a sick, injured or orphaned protected animal for care or treatment to the place where it is intended to be cared for within Queensland, or to another person who holds a rehabilitation permit for the animal.

You can also read the legislation online by visiting the Office of Queensland Parliamentary Counsel website.

Permits and approvals

You should contact Permit and Licence Management or email to discuss any proposal to move wildlife into, within or out of Queensland.

If you are either importing or exporting wildlife into or out of Queensland, you should also contact the wildlife authority in the other state to ensure that you have the necessary documentation from that state to proceed with the movement.

Moving wildlife? Use the new free electronic movement advice (EMA)

Microsoft Word is required to use the electronic movement advice.

To assist with the movement of certain wildlife for recreational aviculturists, herpetologists and commercial wildlife licence holders the department has developed an electronic movement advice (EMA). This free movement advice may be used when moving wildlife into, out of and within Queensland and is available only through the department website.

It may be used for any transaction that an existing printed movement advice can be used for. The current printed movement advice forms are still available for a fee from the department.

Once you have established that you can use a movement advice for a transaction as opposed to a movement permit you then have two choices:

  • purchase a printed movement advice from the department for the usual fee and manually fill in the form at the time of the transaction or
  • use the link located at the bottom of this page to access the free EMA (please note: all fields on the EMA must be filled out electronically before being printed out).

The EMA is available to clients who have access to the department website and once opened can be fully completed and printed. It is not recommended that this form be saved onto a personal computer for reuse as this may lead to an out-of-date version being used in the future. Only access this form directly from the department website.

The EMA operates in the same way as the current system so that when part 1 is fully completed and the advice is printed it automatically copies the typed content onto the corresponding 3 pages. Once fully completed and printed you will receive four parts or pages which you are to distribute in exactly the same manner as a normal movement advice, i.e. parts 1 and 3 are to be returned to the department to the closest EHP office ( addresses are supplied on the form).

Each EMA that is fully completed and printed will have an individual identifier in the top right hand corner consisting of the exact date and time of completion. This will ensure that no two EMAs are the same and will allow the department staff to match up parts 1 and 3 with the corresponding movement for compliance purposes. Each time the EMA is opened a new identification number will be generated to identify a new transaction.

Please note:

  • the EMA cannot be printed as a blank form and completed manually at a later date, and
  • hand written EMAs are not valid and will not be accepted as a legitimate authority for the movement of wildlife.

How to use a movement advice

  1. In all wildlife movements requiring a movement advice, the person who filled out the advice must send the section marked Part 1 to the chief executive within seven days of the wildlife being moved and keep the section marked Part 4 for their own records.
  2. If you fill out the movement advice to move wildlife from one place in Queensland to another person anywhere in Australia, you must also send the sections marked Part 2 and Part 3 with the wildlife.
  3. If you are in Queensland and fill out a movement advice to import wildlife into Queensland, you must send or give the section marked Part 2 to the person sending the wildlife.
  4. If you are receiving wildlife moved under a movement advice, you must sign and date the section marked Part 3 in the space provided. This section must then be given or sent to the chief executive within seven days of the wildlife being moved.

Forms and fees

To obtain a wildlife movement permit you will need to submit an application. Please download an application form; contact Permit and Licence Management or email for assistance.

Movement advices must be obtained from the department and may be purchased in advance.

* Requires Microsoft Office files viewer

Last updated
11 November 2016