Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011
The Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011 contains a suite of measures to reduce waste generation and landfill disposal and encourage recycling.
The legislation establishes a new framework to modernise waste management and resource recovery practices in Queensland. It will promote waste avoidance and reduction and encourage resource recovery and efficiency.
The key provisions of the Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011 include:
- a requirement for Queensland Government agencies and local governments to prepare waste management plans
- introduction of product stewardship arrangements for any waste products that are identified as a growing problem for landfill in the future
- strengthened littering and illegal dumping offences, including public reporting of vehicle-related littering offences.
Waste Reduction and Recycling Regulation 2011
The key provisions of the Regulation include:
- fees for applications under the Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011
- management of used packaging materials
- details about who is required to plan and report about waste management.