Skip links and keyboard navigation

Development application process

Development Assessment

Queensland has an integrated development application, assessment and decision-making system. Councils are usually the development assessment manager; however, the Sustainable Planning Regulation 2009 may require that certain development applications will be referred to the State assessment and referral agency (SARA) as a concurrence or advice agency (and in a small number of situations, an alternate assessment manager.  If referred to SARA, development applications will assessed against the State Development Assessment Provisions (SDAP).

The State Assessment and Referral Agency (SARA) is the first and only point of contact for development applications where the state has a jurisdiction under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009.

Guidelines supporting draft State Planning Assessment Provisions (SDAPs)

Sustainable Planning Regulation V1.10 includes a new concurrence agency referral to SARA for development adjacent to State Heritage Places. For guidance on how to comply with Module 9: Queensland Heritage, refer to State Development Assessment Provisions (SDAP) Module 9 Guideline: Queensland Heritage (PDF, 625K).

Prelodgement Meetings

If your application requires state development assessment under the Sustainable Planning Regulation 2009, you can request a prelodgement meeting with the Department of Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning (DILGP). For information on how to organise a pre-lodgment meeting with SARA, please contact your local DILGP regional office.

EHP also offers prelodgement meetings if you are seeking direction and advice regarding applications for licenses and permits that relate to development but are not being assessed under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009, most commonly:

  • Environmental Authorities (EAs) for Environmentally Relevant Activities (ERAs including EAs for ERAs requiring a development approval
  • Queensland Heritage Exemption Certificates

To arrange a free pre-lodgement meeting with EHP, contact Permit and Licence Management (PaLM) on 13 74 68 or at . If the prelodgement is for an ERA, download and complete the form: Application for prelodgement services ESR/2015/1664.

You can also request a pre-lodgement meeting with the relevant local council before lodging the application to ascertain their requirements.

Last updated
5 December 2016